ABOUT US
  1. Managing Director
    Description
  2. Managing Director
    Description
  3. Managing Director
    Description
  4. Managing Director
    Description
  5. Managing Director
    Description
  6. Managing Director
    Description
The Duquesne Annex Volunteer Fire Company was chartered on a petition of some 159 citizens of the Annex and Polish Hill areas in Mifflin Township. The Charter was granted April 15, 1931. Operations began nearby in a garage on the rear of Jake Weinstein's property, a Charter Member. That operation consisted of one Ford chassis equipped ladder truck with a foam supply. This work was done by the members. The need for more adequate housing was required if the Company was to serve the useful purpose for which it was chartered. With that thought in mind the "Founding Fathers" acquired the property at 1620 Pennsylvania Avenue on which the present fire department stands.

With the acquisition, a building suitable for two trucks was constructed and served the purpose for several years. However, with the construction of Riverview Homes in 1940 there was considerable population growth and many of these people in the next few years became members of the Company. With the increase of membership came new ideas which were adopted. During this period a used pumper truck was purchased from the City of McKeesport Fire Department which gave the fire company a second piece of fire fighting equipment. Since social and other functions were part of the fire company's purpose, it became necessary to expand. An addition was built to the garage running fifty feet on Pennsylvania Avenue, and thirty-six feet along Mellon Avenue. This served as a meeting room and also for other social activities. Late in the 40's the company went into the ambulance service for the people of that area and also had to find means to transport their band. With this in mind, the original building or garage part was extended back some sixty feet and this equipment was then purchased. At this time the fire department received its first pumper truck from the Borough of West Mifflin. The event of the 50's probably was the granting of a liquor license. This meant further building expansion. A 258' x 40' addition was added to the west end of the Pennsylvania Avenue -- face of the building. During this time the fire company's by-laws were completely revised. Much of the balance of the 50's was routine except in the last year ground work for a Relief Association was laid. The Duquesne Annex Volunteer Firemen's Relief Association was granted a charter in 1960. Many of the members began talking for a new building on the rear of the property and the later demolition of the existing building. After several years of planning, construction of the building as it now stands was started in January 1964. The dedication was set for June 27, 1965. This construction was unique in that the second floor was built over the existing building without any interruption of the functions of the fire department.

Upon completion of the second floor, the downstairs area was torn out and completely remodeled in 1965. This site served the needs of Duquesne Annex for many years. In 2002 the Duquesne Annex Volunteer Fire Company began to plan for the future with the purchase of a 3 acre site that is centrally located within our jurisdiction. This ares is currently being used as a training facility for the Duquesne Annex Volunteer Fire Company. 


​MORE UPDATES COMING IN 2017